Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara temple or Wat Chotikaram is the old royal temple located at Prapokklao road in the center of Chiang Mai. In the center of the temple, there is a royal monastery in Lanna style which was constructed by Monk Ubalee Khunparamachan and Chao Kaew Navara in 1928.
Inside the monastery, there is the principle Buddha statue Phra Attharot with a posture of forgiveness in Chiang Mai art style influenced by Pala art style from India. It was made from bronze and it is 18 cubits tall. In front of the monastery’s door, there is stairs with a pair of crawling Nakas and the beautiful ancient-style arch. It is known as the most beautiful pair of Nakas in the northern region of Thailand.
Wat Chedi Luang Varavihara has the biggest stupa in Chiang Mai. It was built in the era of Phrachao Saenmaungma, the seventh king of Mangrai Dynasty (1370-1411). Later, King Ti Lokaraja extended the stupa to be taller and wider. It was completed in 1481. The Emerald Buddha was brought and located here in 1468- 1548, 80 years. In 1545, in the era of Queen Chira Prapha, the top of the stupa was broken down because of the earthquake. Therefore, the stupa now is 40.8 meters tall and each side of its podium is 60 meters long.
There is also Inthakin pillar or the city pillar that was built when Mengrai the Great built Chiang Mai city in 1296. It is located in a small Thai Chaturamook Vihara. This pillar was made from a giant log buried underground. The ceremony named “Khao Inthakin” is held on the twelfth day of the eighth waning moon (north) or in May every year to celebrate the pillar.