Huai Hong Khrai Royal Development Study Center located in Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai. On December 11th 1982, Huai Hong Khrai Royal Development Study Center was established under the royal initiative in the area of Khun Mae Kuang National Forest Reserve. It covers the area of 8,500 rais. It aims to be the center of researches and experiments for searching development patterns that suits the land condition in northern Thailand, and for educating people until they can utilize know-how into practices.
His Majesty’s Huai Hong Khrai project is composed of 3 ways of developing 3 types of woods for 4 purposes. Those 3 types are utilized tree, fruit tree, and fuel tree. The purposes are to preserve soil, water, moisture, and lastly, to maintain the abundance of water sources. The upstream is aimed for studying forest and water source condition. The end of the river is aimed for a study of fishery at reservoirs, together with a study of agriculture, livestock, dairy cattle, and industrial agriculture. Huai Hong Khrai Royal Development Study Center hopes to become the perfect hub where local people can obtain knowledge from the center activities, and are able to make use of it in their real lives, as His Majesty stated “Let the Royal Development Study Center be the living natural museum.”
Nowadays, there are 10 villages of local people around the site. Huai Hong Khrai center has 4 branches as the followings:
- Royal-initiated Fruit and Flower Propagation Development Service Centre at Ban Rai, Amphoe Hang Dong, Chiang Mai
- Royal-initiated Ping Sub-Basin Integrated Development Project, Amphoe Hod and Chom Thong, Chiang Mai, and Amphoe Ban Hong, Lamphun
- Royal-initiated Khun Mae Kuang Forest Area Development Project, Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai
- Royal-initiated Huai Lan Area Development Project, Amphoe San Kamphaeng, Chiang Mai
The center is open everyday from 8.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
How to get there:
- you can take Chiang Mai- Chiang Rai Highway. Drive along the road approximately 23 kilometers, turn right and go straight about 1 kilometer, you will find Huai Hong Khrai center.