The Inthakhin Archaeological Site and Pottery Museum (Museum of Inthakhin Muang Kaen Kiln) is located at Moo 11, San Pa Tong Village, Inthakhin Sub-district, Mae Tang District, Chiang Mai Province. It is a very important archaeological site to archaeology and to Lanna history because it was a new-found pottery producing site with kilns in good condition as well as examples of ancient pottery around the 4 sites that nowhere else in the Upper North have found in such good condition. The history of the Inthakhin Archaeological Site can be traced back hundreds of years when there was an ancient community of Lanna Kingdom during the period 1258 – 1311 AD. The discovery of the Inthakhin site was historically and archaeologically significant as it confirmed the existence of “Toong Pun Eg Pun Fue Mueang Kaen” in the era of King Mengrai of Lanna (1258 – 1311 AD).
Moreover, from the evidence found, it is assumed that the San Pa Tong Village area was once a major producer of earthenware, aged 500-600 years old, for the Lanna Kingdom that were in use from approximately 1407-1457 AD. The products unearthed were uniquely strong and light green glazed (celadon type) and greenish-brown glazed, molded from extremely good quality white earth which can be compared with the Sangkhalok wares of Sri Satchanalai and also with specimens produced in Tao Phan Kiln in Chiang Rai Province. Significantly, pre-fired ceramics molded from white earth have also been discovered here, which had never been found in kiln sites anywhere else in Thailand.
Inthakhin Archaeological Site and Pottery Museum is also encouraged to be conserved and developed to be the technological learning center of ancient Lanna pottery producing and a cultural tourist destination in form of archaeological site museum. It opens daily from 8.00 am. – 4.00 pm.