Wat Chiang Man Temple is located on Rachapakinai Road, Muang District. It is the oldest temple in Chiang Mai City as it was built in 1296 when the city was built. King Mangrai changed his palace into a temple, named it Wat Chiang Man and built a stupa surrounded by elephant decoration in his palace area.
Wat Chiang Man has two chapels: the Big Monastery and the Small Monastery. The Big Monastery was built in this era. Golden painting about city building and King Mangrai’s temples in Wiang Kum Kam and Chiang Mai on the red wall is located between the windows of this monastery. The Small Monastery or Chaturamook Monastery is the old one. Important Buddha statues of Chiang Mai were stored here including Phra Setang Kamanee or Phra Keaw Kaw and a stone Nalakeeree elephant statue. Phra Kaew Kaw is the Budhha statue of Queen Camadevi of Haripunchai kingdom.
Chiang Mai people respect this statue. The chapel of this temple is significant to Chiang Mai people because the front hall has stone inscriptions of Chiang Man Temple which recorded the story of Chiang Mai city, the history of this temple, and the temple maintenance by the Dynasty.
The main stupa of this temple is the stupa surrounded by elephant decoration in Lanna style. It is located behind the Big Vihara. The podium of the stupa was decorated with 16 elephants, influenced from Sukhothai art style. The stairs decorated with Naka is at the front of the stupa, leading to the arch.
The top of the stupa is the golden bell-shaped stupa. There is also the Tripitaka Hall situated in the middle of the pond for storing tripitaka and scriptures according to Lanna style of construction and folk wisdom.
For visitors who are interested in visiting Phra Kaew Kaw and Wat Chiang Man, there are many convenient ways to travel: for private cars, use the same one-way road to the city’s moat. For public transportation, use the red bus that goes around the city.
The history of Wat Chiang Man
It appears in the local legend of Chiang Mai and the Yonok Chronicles, after Phaya Ngam, Phaya Yang and Phaya Mangrai completed Chiang Mai in 1839. All three have built a pagoda at the dormitory. Ban Chiang Man, which Phaya Mangrai built as a temporary residence While controlling the building of the city New by giving the name that That place “Wiang Lek” or “Wiang Lek” means “stability and strength”. Later, when Phaya Mangrai transformed Court to the new palace residence, which is called “Wiang Kaew”, which is now the Chiang Mai Central Memorial, dedicated the royal residence of Wiang Lek Dedicated to religion By being the first royal temple and Bestowed the auspicious name “Wat Chiang Man”, which means a stable country. The stone inscription of Wat Chiang Man in 1819 (Echo) “658 B.C. Year of the Fall of the Moon, Wisdom, 8 out of 5 nights. At night two horns, two nathi at the end of the water Luckna served as President of the Phaya Mangrai in Phaya Mangrai, Chao Phaya Ngam, the city of the three Phaya Khao. Set up a dormitory in Chaiyaphum Ratchamonthon, digging on the three sides of the building, and laying on the ground at Ban Chiang Man. Hua give to all three glasses, put the name “
Wat Chiang Eng, continue now …” Therefore, Wat Chiang Man is the first royal temple in the city wall of Chiang Mai. Was built in 1839 BC, then it is expected that this pagoda collapsed during the reign of King Tilok. King Ratchawong Mang, tenth reign, reigned in 1985 – 2031, so he rebuilt laterite in 2014.
Later in the year 2094, Chiang Mai became the dependency of Myanmar. Wat Chiang Man then was abandoned as an abandoned temple. In 1558 BC, Prince Mangtra Or King Maha Thammika, the Buddhist monarch of Burma, has faith in Buddhism. Please have the Phraya Saen Luang to build the Chedi, the temple hall, the Tri Sai San Thammathat Wall. And the Mekong Gate At Wat Chiang Man With the Maha Hin Tathic Buddha statue in Wang Sa Is an abbot When Phraya period Kawi Lakon, Chiang Mai, 1781 – 1815, underwent restoration of Chiang Man Temple again.
After this temple was in an abandoned temple state during the war to restore independence from Burma since 1776. Later in the reign of Inthawarorot in 1897 – B.E. .2452 Buddhism in the style of the sect has spread to the Lanna Kingdom. Inthawaros then invited the Thammayut to come to stay at Wat Chiang Mai for the first time and later moved to Wat Hortham and Wat Chedi Luang respectively.
How to get there:
- Wat Chiang Man, Chiang Mai is located on Ratchaphakhinai Road, Mueang District, using the same route as running on the inner moat which is one way
By public transport
- Take the red minibus that serves around the city, fare depending on distance