Christ Church Shimla located at Shimla of India. The Church opening from 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM (All Days). Christ Church Shimla is second oldest Church in North India. Christ Church is the star attraction of Shimla. It was built back in 1884 by Colonel J.T. Boileau. Earlier, the church served the large Anglican British community when Shimla was a British town. The church has witnessed a number of changes which Shimla faced through the years.
The architecture of the church takes an inspiration from the Neo-Gothic style. The windows of the church form its key feature. The church has five glass windows which allure people from different communities to visit here and have a glimpse of their beauty. Every window of the church is known to present different virtues of Christianity including faith, hope, charity, fortitude, patience and humility.
The church is open for all visitors from Monday to Saturday, between 10:30am to 5:30pm. While you get to enjoy silence inside the church, there is a complete different world outside it, at the ridge which is a major tourist spot. This is why the Christ Church is called a gift from another era.
Christ Church is one attraction which pops up in every mind which thinks of Shimla. This church truly has a unique charm to it. It is the best place if you wish to spend some time along amid peace and spirituality.
Where is Christ Church located? The Christ Church is located in the heart of the beautiful hill station, Shimla. It is located at the ridge which is flocked with locals and tourists all round the year. The church is a five-minute walk from the Shimla US Club. Buses and taxis are available which make it easy to travel within the town.
History of Christ Church, Shimla
During the British Raj in India, the area around the church was occupied by a huge flock of Britishers and Anglo-Indians. Since they were the followers of Christianity, they asked the government to build a place of worship for them. Hence, in 1844, the construction of the Christ Church started. For conducting the divine services, the church was officially given the license on October 11th, 1846, while it became a pure symbol of devotion on January 10th, 1857. The foundation of the church was laid down by Bishop Reverend Thomas Daltry. It took nearly 11 to 12 years to construct it. The total cost was around INR 40,000 to 50,000 for its entire construction.