Zagreb Story and History
Zagreb Capital of Croatia is located in northwestern part is distinguished by 18th- and 19th-century Austro-Hungarian architecture. At its center, Upper Town is the site of the Gothic, twin-spired Zagreb Cathedral and 13th-century St. Mark’s Church, with a colorfully tiled roof. During the century they had brought new construction to Old Zagreb and many buildings were restored or rebuilt. Also, during the first half of the century, three Roman Catholic orders arrived in the Upper Town. In 1606, the Jesuits brought Baroque architecture to Zagreb and settled in the city’s southeastern corner. They built the first grammar school in Zagreb in St. Catherine’s Square, St. Catherine’s Church, and their monastery in Jesuit Square. St. Catherine’s Church, built between 1620 and 1632, was the earliest sacred Baroque building in Zagreb.
The building and decoration of the church interior were incentives for local carpenters, sculptors, painters and gilders who were developing their own Baroque style. The Jesuit college, more modest than St. Catherine’s Church, has been redeveloped as a museum. The second order to arrive in Gradec were the Capuchins in 1618, who settled the southwestern part of Zagreb. They restored the old St. Mary’s Church, built a monastery nearby (in present-day Vraničani Street) and cultivated a garden in the present-day park and playgrounds. Nothing remains of the Capuchin buildings, since they were demolished at the beginning of the 19th century. Nuns from the Poor Clares (about 1650) developed the northern part of the town near the medieval Popov toranj tower. One wing of their convent flanked the fortification wall and tower. Their church was demolished in the first half of the 19th century, and the convent now houses the Zagreb City Museum. The south belfry of the Zagreb Cathedral in Kaptol was built after a 1645 fire, and Baroque styling was introduced in the interiors of the cathedral and St. Mary’s and St. Francis’ Churches. A number of Baroque residences were also built.
In addition to new elements introduced to the old city, it was realized that the relatively-small squares around St. Mark’s Church and in front of the cathedral were unsuitable for large fairs. To promote trade and manufacturing, it was necessary to leave the walls on the hills. In 1641, the town authorities converted the gardens on the plain below Gradec and Kaptol into a marketplace which became Ban Jelačić Square. The area was chosen for its proximity to the Old Town and a spring. The name of the spring was Manduševac, and the square was named after the spring. It later became Harmica, and then Ban Jelačić Square.
Where to go:
1. Mirogoj Cemetery
Mirogoj’s Tomb is located at the foot of the lush hills of Mount Medvednica, an astoundingly popular place to stroll. This is the final resting place for celebrities in Croatia, with many attractive pavilions and vaulted canals. Which is the best example of death architecture in the country Explore the quiet walking paths admire the graves and intricately carved inscriptions and show respect to the grave of famous artists, writers and politicians. The cemetery is located in a vacation home that was originally owned by a famous linguist and journalist Ljudevit Gaj. After his death in 1872, this plot of land was sold to a government agency in Zagreb. Which asked for help from Hermann Bollé, the Austrian architect, in designing the cemetery Explore the old pavilions and arched canopy walkways from Bollé’s original designs, including carvings and decorations by other famous artists.
Mirogoj is located at the foot of Medvednica Hill in the Medveščak district. It is a 30 minute walk from the city center or if you don’t want to walk. You can take a bus instead. This cemetery is open every day and there is no admission fee.
2. Zagreb’s Lower Town
Zagreb’s Lower Town is a city square surrounded by trendy shops. The Town is one of 17 Zagreb’s districts. It is located in the very center of the city of Zagreb Croatia Community and Community Center This is where the new and old blue tram lines. Visit the monument of the great Ban Josip Jelačić who fought for independence from Hungary in 1848.
3. St. Mark’s Church
St. Mark’s Church with beautiful roofs. The Church of St. Mark is the parish church of old Zagreb, Croatia located in St. Mark’s Square. In the world of ancient gates that location of Madonna icon with fire in the 19th century by the event that everything was burning. Only the icons remain. The people to worship and worship. HALALA sign is a marble slab that translates into a wall.
4. Croatian National Theater
This theater is located in the old town of Zagreb It was built in 1895. The style of the building was built in Neo-Baroque style. It is in the shape of a U shape and is surrounded by the park, earning the nickname “The Green Horse shoe”.
5. Archaeological Museum
Archaeological Museum is the site of home that collection of many art work which is more than 400,000 artifacts and the most famous are probably mummies in an ancient Egyptian artifacts or even the oldest inscriptions in Europe.