The species of mugwort in the book uses in the scientific name as Artemisia vulgaris L. to be in the sunflower family (ASTERACEAE or COMPOSITAE) with the common name Common wormwood and other names are known as Pitsanat Pisanad (Ratchaburi), Kathmalantha (Bangkok), O Ana (Ngao-Mae Hong Son), Hia Hia Hia (Chaozhou), Ye Ye Ai (Mandarin) etc.
What is Mugwort?
Mugwort is a common name for several species of aromatic plants in the genus Artemisia. In Europe, mugwort most often refers to the species Artemisia vulgaris, or common mugwort. While other species are sometimes referred to by more specific common names, they may be called simply “mugwort” in many contexts.
Mugwort is also used to stimulate gastric juice and bile secretion. It is also used as a liver tonic; to promote circulation; and as a sedative. Other uses include treatment of hysteria, epilepsy, and convulsions in children. Women take mugwort for irregular periods and other menstrual problems.
This is also has hallucinogenic properties. This psychoactive herb is used by some people as a dream enhancer by putting it under their pillow. This mild hallucinogen can be brewed or smoked. Since mugwort is a mild hallucinogen, it does not cause any harmful side effects.
Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) is uncontrolled in the United States. This means all parts of the plant and its extracts are legal to cultivate, buy, possess, and distribute (sell, trade or give) without a license or prescription. If sold as a supplement, sales must conform to U.S. supplement laws.
The characteristics of the mugwort
Mugwort (Species in the scientific name Artemisia vulgaris L.) is a small herbaceous plant species. The trunk has a height of 45-120 centimeters or may be up to 2 meters in height. The base of the stalk is rhizome on the ground or underground. The trunk is round and has vertical furrows covering. Split branches in the middle of the tree The leaves are arranged alternately. The appearance of fuzzy leaves resembling coriander, smooth leaf surface and the serrated edges are sawtooth. The back of the leaf has a white, slightly gray-green hair and the front side is green. The leaf is a feather-like leaf with a pointed tip. The leaves are about 1.5-9 cm wide and 2.5-10.5 cm long. The surface is smooth, the petiole is short, the flowers are small, white. (It is a species found in the forest. The scientific name Artemisia vulgaris L.) or the flowers are red. (It is a species found in cultivation. (Scientific name Artemisia argyi Levl. Et Vant.) There are 4-5 sepals from the 9th to the 10th month, forming a bouquet along the apex of the plant. 5-5 mm. The petals have glands. The base of the flower is connected to a bell-shaped tube or tube. The tips of the petals are 4-5 points. The fruit or seeds are oval. Oval The surface is smooth. No hair. Propagated by seeds. (Both the white flowers and red flowers have medicinal properties as well. Can be used interchangeably There is also a yellow flower species with the scientific name Artemisia princeps Pamp as well, but this species is poisonous. If overused, it may cause death.
The benefit of the mugwort
- Traditional Chinese medicine will use mugwort. (In the data claiming to be of Artemisia annua L. ) is an antidote to Dengue fever. Fever caused by heat in the summer, low fever without sweating. Fever due to tuberculosis And used as a cure for hemorrhoids The Thai drug book will be used as an antipyretic fever to cure fever. Which is a type of fever fever) to cure fever for phlegm, help reduce phlegm, cure malaria, cure asthma, cure asthma, cough, help sweat. And used as a cure for jaundice. You can read the benefits and benefits of Ching Hau in detail at this article. Ching Hao.
• Both dried plants (in the book claiming to be Artemisia vulgaris L. ) are spicy, bitter, discreet, non-toxic plants. Action on the elements, liver and kidney, used as a remedy for abnormal blood circulation. Fever with sputum, cough, asthma, and fever (with fever, rash, such as rheumatism, measles, brilliant, dark red, typhus, starch). Helps to expel flatulence, colic, distension, pain, used to treat irregular menstruation or menstruation. Not normal Have a stomachache Relieve menstrual pain due to uterine hemorrhage. Is a medicine for pregnant women Used as a hemostatic drug Stop bleeding and nosebleeds Solving dysentery, bloody diarrhea Expelling the coldness of the body. Numbness in the hands and feet With the use of dried leaves, 3-10 grams at a time, boiled with eating water. Or can be used externally as an antidote to skin rash (External use Available as needed)
• Anti-itching and skin itching formulas Will use a mugwort 35 grams, Di Fu Chu 20 grams, 20 grams Pui sound and 10 grams of peppers, bring to boil with water. Then use steam steaming
• The formulas for treating uterine pain patients will use 6 grams of mugwort to bring the medicine to 15 grams of bitter boiled head, 15 grams of sticky rice, 10 grams of coconut milk and 10 grams of Nguan oak, boiled with water.
• The medicine used to treat ligament pain, joint pain, bone pain. Will use mugwort roll in a line, then set fire to burn and then put on the needle head at acupuncture. Will cause the drug to seep into the skin.
• The other information states that the mugwort (in the book claiming to be Artemisia vulgaris L. ), in which the leaf is used as a sweating agent in the intestines, diarrhea, diarrhea, diuretic, nourish the uterus. Helps to normalize menstruation. Relieve abdominal pain and abdominal pain Transfusion of lymphatic fluid Arthritis And helps suppress muscle spasms By using boiled leaves to only drink water As for external use, use fresh leaves to lower thoroughly and then mask the headache. Chronic wound healing Relieve swelling and stiffness And use smoke to cure asthma In the leaves and inflorescences Will bring to boil drinking water as a cure for expectorant, cure asthma and indigestion.
• In the list of herbs based on prior knowledge According to the National Committee on Drugs (version 5), the use of Kathrimat herbs in many formulas is used to treat circulatory system symptoms or wind medicine. Which appears in the ” Homthep Jit ” recipe and the ” Hom Nawakot drug ” which contains the Kathrimatum in the nineth rank in combination with other herbs in the recipe, with properties as a remedy for wind vertigo. Relieve dizziness, dizzy, palpitations, nausea, vomiting and the wind is tight in the stomach. in the antipyretic drugs appear in ” Chan Leela ” and ” Five Roots ” antipyretic formulas, consisting of mugwort, together with other herbs in the recipe, with the property as a fever-relieving fever. Seasonal Fever
• The mugwort is an herb that has been used in many traditional Thai formulas. And has been used in Thai medicine known as ” Gotha coordinates “, with Kathryalomphum classified as ” The Five Gotha” (Benjakot), ” The Seven Gotha ” (Sattakot) and ” Kot nine “(Naow Kot), which has overall properties as a fever medicine. Fever, with phlegm, asthma, cough, wheezing, cure hiccups, wind up in the element, help expel, use as tonic, nourish the blood and nourish the bones
• However, the mugwort that is used as a medicine is in fact the scientific name Artemisia pallens, which is a medicine that has a taste, fragrant, hot, has properties as an antipyretic drug. (Fever catch every other day), Awesome fever (fever with rash on the body such as rheumatism, measles, brilliant, red, typhus), cure fever for phlegm, cure catching fever, cure asthma, cough, use as a sweat, Appetite suppressant, is a laxative, is a central nervous system stimulant like camphor, cure hemorrhage, help expel, use air to lower the air Relieve bruising in Rheumatic aches, dysentery, abdominal pain after delivery and correct the excessive menstruation of women This kind of mugwort is a drug that is widely used in Thai medicine such as according to the List of Herbal Medicines 2001, Thai Traditional Medicine or Traditional Medicine, 50 items with as many as 13 ingredients.
Pharmacological information of mugwort
• Important substances found in mugwort (In the book claiming to be of Artemisia vulgaris L. ) in the leaf, 0.02% volatile oil is found. Cineoleathujone, Phellandrene, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and the whole plant contains approximately 0.2-0.33% of volatile oil.
• Aromatherapy of mugwort (In the book claiming to be of Artemisia vulgaris L. type ) can slightly stimulate the skin. By causing the skin to feel hot or red If taken 2-5 grams orally, found that it can help digestion and appetite. But if eating more than the ratio Will cause gastric and intestinal inflammation acute In addition, volatile oil can treat asthma, cough, phlegm, and can be used to treat bronchitis in rats. It also has many antiseptic effects, such as diphtheria infection. Bacteria that cause dysentery, etc.
• The active substance in Ching Hao or mugwort ( Artemisia annua L. ) is Artemisinin . (Artemisinin) or Ching Hsu (Quinghousu) can act to kill plasmodium in the blood stage. Which is effective in treating malaria patients, both Plasmodium falciparum and Plasomdium vivax, especially drug resistant strains Currently, this substance and the semi-synthetic chemical derivative have been used as antidote in many countries, including China. And is recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) and is a certified drug in Chinese medicine. In addition, it is found that this type of drug contains many flavanoids. Which enhances the activity against dengue fever with artemisinins, such as casticin, cirsilineol, chysoplenol-D, chrysoplenetin etc.
• The mugwort (species Artemisia annua L. ) has been reported to have antimalarial activity. Antibacterial, protecting DNA and preventing stomach ulcers The essential oil has anti-cancer effects. Has the effect of suppressing immunity Anti-inflammatory And against many types of microbes.
Benefits of mugwort
• For the mugwort type, Artemisia argyi, China, is used as a therapeutic material by moxibuston.
• Used as an herb to repel mice By using 2 lines of mugwort, 1 liter of water and 10 cc of banana shoots to mix together and leave for 1 night then squeeze the water to spray around the field (Used in extract ratio of 100 cc to 20 liters of water) by spraying around the field during 7-10 days continuously. This will help prevent rats from destroying the white stalks in the rice fields. It is also safe, without chemicals, good for rice fields, and not harmful to health.