Postojna Cave in Southwestern Slovenia is the most beautiful cave in Europe. More than 2 million years old and the length of the cave is more than 27 kilometers (27,000 m long). Through the creek, underground water reservoir inside the cave for 5 kilometers within the cave has stalactites and stalagmites in various colors and colors. As creature to see the strange of human fish. It is the second-longest cave system in the country as well as one of its top tourism sites. The caves were created by the Pivka River.
The first railway in an underground cave setting up as a show cave in 1819, a suitable solution that would make the arduous and long cave tour by torchlight easier for visitors was sought for decades. As early as 1853, Schmidl was surprised that there were no riding animals in the cave, no donkeys or ponies to ride on. On March 11 in 1857, when the Southern Railway Vienna – Trieste was launched, sedan chairs were set up for the imperial couple Franz Joseph and Elizabeth, who visited the Postojna Cave at the time.
Postojna Cave is a horizontal cave, which made it possible to set up the first documented railway in an underground cave (official opening being June 16 in 1872). From 1872 to 1923 was becoming a tourist attraction. The development of tourism was began when the district governor Dr Anton Globočnik von Sorodolski took over as the Chairman of the Cave Commission. Footpaths around the cave were set up and so was the railway foundation. The work on laying tracks, which were 1,534 metres in length and had a track gauge of 620 mm, started in March 1872, was supervised by the road master Gregor Oblak and took three months to complete.
On 16 June 1872, the first railway started running from the speleothem called Prižnica (Pulpit) in the Great Dome to the foot of the Great Mountain. This would have been impossible to do if the cave was not almost horizontal. After World War I, Postojna Cave became a territory within the Kingdom of Italy. A lot of attention was devoted to its development and so in 1923 the railway line was completely renovated and extended. Visitors were now moving around the cave by a gasoline – powered locomotive. The first one was called Montania 803. It was a mine locomotive and was built to pull 20 passengers.