Thanathon Orchard is a pride of Fang district, the origin of “Som Sai Nam Pueng” or “Special Honey”, due to its fine quality orange. Owing to the size and scenery, it is now developed to be a tourist attraction. It consists of 2 orchards which are:
- Thanathon Orchard 2 (Ban Lan) is an area of more than 700 Rai surrounded by hills and scenic view of orange groves and fruits. The orange cultivation started in 2527. They also instruct how to plant and take care of the orange tree. You can enjoy the farm by a boat-like car and golf car provided which costs only 30 Baht/person.
- Thanathon Orchard 8 or Tha Ton Orchard situated in Tha Ton sub-district, Mae Ai district covering an area of 450 Rai. In 1992, the orange was grown here for the first time. Today, the orchard grows mainly 2 hybrids: Special Honey and seedless Ocean Honey. The area is scenic hill and the Kok river can be seen from here. You can take a scenic boat ride and pick off some fresh oranges or buy some souvenirs like fresh oranges, aroma candles or bags from the store.
- Thanathon orchard is an ideal place to visit and appreciate a stunning view of orange groves decorated with vivid oranges and variety of flowers all over the farm. It is very popular, especially in the winter. More than 10 orange hybrids are grown here and some of them are so small that can be eaten with skin.
However, Special Honey and Freemont are the most well-known hybrids. The only one thing that you are prohibited while visiting here is picking off the oranges because their branches are quite brittle. If you really want to taste an orange, you can buy it in front of the farm. Besides visiting orange farm, you can learn how to plant and take care of hydroponic vegetables or even taste salad and try fresh orange juice from the farm to make your day.
How to get there:
- By Car: Take the Chiang Mai – Fang. Mae Taeng district of Chiang Chaiprakarn distance of about 150 kilometers.
- By Bus: Use Chang Phueak Transport Station.