Education

Frigates Loosen (1684-1717) History

The frigate loosen – The Danish-Norwegian frigate Lossen lost in the hurricane that swept across the North Sea Christmas Eve 1717.

In 2017, it was 300 years since the Danish-Norwegian frigate Lossen lost in the hurricane that swept across the North Sea on Christmas Eve 1717. Half of the crew of 100 lost their lives when the ship was struck against the rock at Vesterøy in Hvaler. The ship’s fate was rediscovered by Commander Captain Rolf Scheen in the National Archives of Copenhagen, and the wreck was found by the museum and the Oslo Underwater Club in 1963, at 10 meters deep in the bay Stolen south of Paper Harbor.

The cargo was built in 1684 at the galley yard at Isegran near Fredrikstad by shipbuilder Harmen Thiessen van der Burgh. During the war, Lossen served in both the Baltic Sea and the North Sea, and took an active part in a number of well-known encounters with the Swedish fleet. It lost during escort service of trunks from Stavern to Fladstrand (Frederikshavn).

The discovery of Lossen resulted in the first scientific underwater excavation in Northern Europe. This excavation had the summer 2017 fiftieth anniversary. The excavation uncovered over 4,000 objects. As one might expect from an excavation of a warship, some weapons were found on the wreckage of the Loss, such as parts of rifles and firearms, guns, cannonballs and other ammunition. Nevertheless, it was ship equipment and personal items that made up the largest proportion of the discovery material, and which provided a unique insight into life on board a Danish-Norwegian warship during the Great Nordic War (1700-1720).

Among the over 4,000 items were close to a thousand buttons in various materials, personal hygiene equipment, stationery, pencils and pencils, parts of jars, sewing cases, beeps, snuff boxes and tobacco bags, tools and tools of various kinds, a walking stick, games, dice and a variety of other.

One of the aforementioned cabinets was a well-preserved wooden writing box with room for ink and sand houses. The box also contained several objects; pen to write on slate boards, a silver link, a tweezers, a varnish rod to seal letters with, a pencil, half a glass bead, a cork, a nutmeg, 21 buttons, one of which is a collar button, 392 pins, 16 small bone tools, and a signed with the initials “AB” written in mirror monogram. The same initials were also painted on the inside of the cabinet lid. This made it possible to identify the owner of the shrine, Monthly Lieutenant Andres Bohse, the only one in the crew roll with these initials.

Advertisements

Categories: Education, history

Tagged as: , ,