Turbid urine or Urine Turbidity is the color of your urine may look cloudy sludge. Not clear or light yellow as usual Which may be caused by external factors such as medication, eating certain foods Or caused by other causes that cause urine such as protein or crystalline impurities in the urine. The body is dehydrated. Infections in the urinary system, etc.
Causes of turbid urine
The urine that is turbid when done is the abnormal urination. Which can occur for many reasons as follows:
- The body is very dehydrated.
- There are red blood cells in the urine or urine in the blood.
- There are white blood cells in the urine due to inflammation of the organs in the urinary system. Or purulent urine from an infection in the urinary system
- Kidney stones or bladder stones
- The urine may be mixed with sperm, bacteria, parasites or yeast.
- There are various chemical molecules leaking in the urine such as protein, egg whites, ketones.
- The urine may contain crystals of certain substances such as phosphate crystals, urate crystals from eating foods that are high in purines. Or too high oxalate in the urine
- Urine is contaminated with feces in case of perforation between the bladder and large intestine.
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea
- The urine looks milky white like milk (Chyluria). Urine with lymph or mixed fat. Such as in elephantiasis From kidney resection (Partial nephrectomy) or by electronegativity (ablative) for the treatment of certain diseases, such as tumors or kidney accidents.
In addition to the reasons mentioned above There are also factors that may affect the levels of various chemicals or systems within the body and lead to turbidity or abnormal coloration, such as
- Eating certain foods in large amounts can change the color of urine, such as beetroot and blackberries.
- Certain medications. Using certain medicines can cause changes in urine color. But will not cause harm to the patient
- Sex in men is often ill with kidney stones or bladder stones. While women are often ill from infections in the urinary system. And may have symptoms of vaginal discharge or vaginal infection
- The age of the elderly in some cases they are more likely to suffer from various diseases as the source of the cloudy urine, such as kidney disease than diabetes.
- Family history People with family members suffering from kidney disease or kidney stones There may be a risk of the same illness occurring to yourself.
- Exercise or hard labor may increase the risk of illness or changes that affect the urinary system.
Diagnosis of turbid urine
Initially, the doctor will perform a history of illnesses, medication history of patients. Including asking about the existing symptoms such as urine that is cloudy, has a color, has a smell, or looks what it does Is there a drop of blood or blood clot in it? Is there a pain while urinating? How often do patients drink water or urinate? Is there a change in diet? The disorder that has been around for a long time now Have you had any of these symptoms before? Have any medical conditions or other illnesses or not? And which drug is currently being used to treat
Then the doctor may perform a physical examination at the area that is suspected to be sick. Which will cause the urine to become turbid or have other abnormal symptoms or may submit additional tests to find the exact cause, such as
- Urinalysis (Urinalysis) to detect the level of red blood cells, proteins, minerals expulsion. Including bacteria that may be present in the urine to see if they are infected or not
- A blood test for kidney function (Kidney function tests) to detect levels of creatinine (Creatinine) and nitrogen (BUN) for renal function.
- Blood tests for liver function (Liver function tests) to check the levels of AST (SGOT), ALT (SGPT ), ALP (Alkaline phosphatase), Total bilirubin, Direct bilirubin, Albumin, Globulin to see if the liver is functioning properly. or not
Turbid urine treatment
Initially, aside from the turbid urine symptoms Should also observe other symptoms or illnesses that occur together Whether it is frequent urination but in small increments Urinate Or sudden pain in the urine, urine mixed with blood (If having pain while urinating with Kidney stones or urinary tract infections But if there is no pain together, may be caused by cancer), urine is dark yellow or orange In combination with jaundice The stool is pale. (Liver may have problems or are not working properly), Turbid urine or blood mixed with foul odor along with fever, chills or waist pain (urinary tract infection may occur) .If these symptoms occur, then should see a doctor to find the cause and Continue medical examination The urine that is cloudy or has a different color but is not harmful, such as by eating certain foods Or as a side effect from medication Do not need treatment But if the turbid urine is caused by various diseases or illnesses, the doctor will give treatment according to the detected cause such as
- Dehydration (Dehydration) treatment may be used to drink a lot of beverages containing electrolyte solution or carbohydrates. Eat dissolved mineral powders. Or saline treatment in patients with severe dehydration The treatment method depends on the severity, the cause of dehydration. And the age of the patient
- Urinary tract infection (UTI). Treatment is used as an antibiotic to kill the infection. There are both oral and injectable types, depending on the suitability of the patient and the nature of the illness.
- Kidney stones(Kidney stone) The treatment depends on the type and size of the stone. If the stones are small and the patient has a slight illness Treatment consists of drinking plenty of water to help with diuretic. Taking painkillers like paracetamol (Paracetamol) Ibuprofen (Ibuprofen) or naproxen sodium (pain). Or using alpha-bloggers (Alpha-blockers) to relax the muscles in the urethra and help break down the stones, etc. If the stones are large and cause various health problems, treatment may be using high frequency sound waves to send energy through the skin to the lump. Stones (ESWL) for the body to be able to remove stones in the urine, using a Nephroscope to look into the kidneys and use tools to remove the stones, etc. including surgery which There are many methods depending on the location and size of the stone, such as Anatrophic nephrolithotomy (ANL), Pyelolithotomy, Ureterolithotomy. (Read more at the article “Kidney stones “)
Prevention of turbid urine
In general, the prevention of turbid urine and other abnormalities that may occur in the urinary system are as follows:
- Drink plenty of water for good health and prevent dehydration. In addition, drinking plenty of water helps to expel waste in the urinary system. Helps reduce the chance of kidney stones Including other health problems as well (the color of the urine is dark yellow Indicating the condition that the body is needing more water)
- Drink clean water, fruit juices, or other beverages that are beneficial to the body. And should avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol, caffeine, soda or soft drinks Because it may react with the bladder until various health problems occur.
- Not holding urine Hurry to urinate when feeling pain
- Clean the area of the body with mild soap or clean water at least 1-2 times a day and wipe dry to prevent damp and infection.
- Eat foods that are high in fiber to prevent constipation. Which may affect other symptoms in the urinary system
- If you have any underlying illness or illness with any disease that has to limit the amount of fluid in your body, you should consult a doctor about the appropriate amount of drinking water each day, such as kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease.