The definition of the product refers to compositions (Produce) or raw materials (Raw Material) derived from natural products such as fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, mineral recovery processes, etc. to produce. May use machinery Come out as a product or product
Product categories are divided into 2 major categories which are
- Consumer Goods
- Industrial Goods
Consumer goods are goods that consumers buy for their own use.
Divided according to the nature of the consumer’s purchase into 4 types
- Convenience goods are consumer goods, inexpensive daily use, regular use and familiar with brands such as detergents, soaps, sanitary napkins,
toothpaste, matches, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Shopping goods are high-priced, durable products that
are rarely purchased. Will choose the brand that suits you Must be compared in many stores, many brands,
service, performance, style, price, quality, etc., such as electrical appliances, refrigerators, televisions, air conditioners, etc.
- Specialty goods are exceptionally satisfied. Will buy this brand only High loyalty, such as cosmetics, perfume, computers, cars, etc.
- Unsought goods are new products that are just on the market. Or is a product that is too expensive to buy Does not see the importance or necessity, the seller requires effort And must be direct sales to be effective Because it is a difficult product to sell, such as insurance, encyclopedias, vitamins, exercise equipment Very expensive wrapping cloth etc.
Industrial goods are goods purchased for use in production. Or operating divided into 3 groups which are
- Raw materials and parts (Material and Parts) are products purchased for use in the production process. Then get finished products such as cassava and sugar cane as raw materials for making MSG etc.
- Capital goods are products that help in production, such as machinery used to grind cassava and sugarcane. And then processed through chemical processing to transform into monosodium glutamate etc.
- And Supplies and Service is a product that facilitates production in a convenient and flexible manner such as materials for repair and maintenance of machinery, materials.
A place to provide product knowledge
- The salesperson should go to study at the factory. When knowing the source of raw materials production In order to bring the true experience to tell the customers confidently
- Sales guide prepared by the business Which will give details about the history of the business Executive profile Details of all types of products Beautifully illustrated Employee benefits And how to contact the company
- A sales file is created to help salespeople sell products to customers. It is an image of a product showing the sale price and the reward that the business has received. Quality certificate for purchase order
- Training for salespeople Before operating The business will train the sales staff to gain knowledge about the products, businesses, methods of selling
- Visual materials help to study, such as video CDs and tape, allowing employees to study more
- Product benefits And storage Salespeople must know and study. To answer customer questions
- Competitors. Salesmen must study competitors’ products. To find comparisons and answer customer questions that How are our products better? However, we must never attack competitors. Because it is considered unethical
Benefits of having product knowledge
The salesperson knows the details about the product and helps him to find the strengths of various products as a good selling point. And able to compare differences with competing products, both advantages and disadvantages, which will be
Benefits in offering
In product sales Salespeople have to remember one thing that Consumers buy products because The benefits that he has received from that product is not only about the product or the product’s benefits, such as
“Our vacuum cleaners use high-speed motors (features), so they can work twice as fast (product benefits) using less labor. (Product benefits), therefore, can save cleaning time by 15-30 minutes (consumer benefits) helping you to be less tired. (Consumer benefits) “
In addition, salespeople should know how the business provides after sales services. After-sales warranty Where is the service center? Are the spare parts easy to find?
Related products Salespeople have to study and advise customers. Not only knowing the products that you sell, such as selling cars, you need to know the car’s engine as well. Know how to care for a car Car accessories Car insurance company Car loan sources, etc.
The product is the product line of the business. The salesman must have some knowledge. Because customers may want to buy other products of the company too It helps increase sales, such as being a chicken feed salesman at a chicken farm. Must know that their business, in addition to selling chicken food, also sell chicken products, such as fresh chicken meat, chicken meatballs, chicken sausages as well
Because the farm owner may want to buy these products Because will open a food store, etc.
Knowing the product will help salespeople to connect the features and benefits of the product. With the benefits that consumers want from the product correctly and appropriately Which will lead to the purchase of the product itself