Initiatives for the establishment of a museum in Karlovac have been around since the end of the 19th century, but it was not until December 18, 1904 that the City Representative expressed an opinion on the need to establish a museum and provided initial funding of 500 crowns. Insufficient funds did not lead to the initiation of activities, and it was not until 1911 that a Museum Committee was set up with the task of collecting material, the accommodation of which was to be served by a provisionally allocated room on the second floor of City Hall.
The activities of collecting objects die during the First World War and are restored only after II. in 1952, when Professor Ivana Vrbanić was hired as the first expert (curator). The very next year in 1953, the Museum was awarded one of the oldest preserved objects of baroque curiae residential architecturefrom the first half of the 17th c. built by the Karlovac General Wolf Krsto Frankopan in the Star of Karlovac, which is still the seat of the Karlovac City Museum today.
The Karlovac City Museum soon and officially merged with the Karlovac Gallery of Art, founded on July 12, 1945, as the first gallery establishment established in Croatia after II. and the first active museum and gallery institution in the city of Karlovac.