Yokohama is a port city that located in the south of Tokyo and distance is not far from Tokyo. There is also a direct train that can take from Tokyo Station to Yokohama in half an hour. Therefore, Yokohama is one of the most popular destinations for tourists visit after Tokyo. But the advantage of Yokohama is not just the distance near Tokyo. This is the oldest port city and also the largest port in Japan. This city is influenced by foreign countries so the atmosphere in Yokohama has a different charm not like other. It combines the cultures of Japan and foreign countries together.
Traveling to Japan only Tokyo is not enough. Not only inside Tokyo but around and nearby Tokyo will be part of this trip. There are many interesting in Yokohama. You can choose one day trip from Tokyo to Yokohama. The attractions of this city have a variety many lifestyles for person like us to choose and visit. Let’s see 19 places to visit in Yokohama.
- Shin Yokohama Ramen Museum
- Cup Noodles Museum
- Yokohama Doll Museum
- HARA Model Railway Museum
- Kirin Beer Village
- Yokohama Museum of Art
- Yokohama Anpanman Children’s Museum and Mall
- Motomachi Shopping Street
- Mitsui Outlet Park Yokohama Bayside
- Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea paradise
- Yokohama Landmark Tower
- Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse
- Yokohama Cosmo World
- Orbi Yokohama
- Sankeien Garden
- Yamashita Park
- Yokohama China town
- Marine tower
How to get there:
- Tokyu Toyoko Line – 25 minutes from Shibuya Station prices is 270 yen. This is cheapest route to get to Yokohama. It requires a limited express or express train to be faster than local but the same ticket price from Yokohama Station train will run on the Minato Mirai Line to Motomachi-Chukagai. Which is closest to the center of Yokohama.
- JR Tokaido Line – 25 minutes from Tokyo Station prices is 470 yen. or 20 minutes from Shinagawa Station prices is 290 yen. This is fastest route connecting from Tokyo Station to Yokohama Station.
- JR Yokosuka Line – 30 minutes from Tokyo Station prices is 470 yen. or 20 minutes from Shinagawa Station prices is 290 yen. This type of train is slower than the Tokaido Line and depart from the northwest of Tokyo Station also known as the Sobu Line. This train also provides services between Chiba and Narita Airport.
- JR Shonan Shinjuku Line – 30 minutes from Tokyo Station prices is 550 yen or 20 minutes from Shibuya Station prices is 290 yen. The direct service between Yokohama and Shinjuku, Shibuya and Ikebukuro station in Tokyo and Satama, Gunma and Tochigi north of Tokyo.
- JR Keihin-Tohoku Line – 40 minutes from Tokyo Station prices is 470 yen or 30 minutes from Shinagawa Station price is 290 yen. This train line is a local train and traveling quite slow. The connection between Tokyo and the south of Yokohama is also known as the Negishi Line which runs to some tourist attractions in the city center and south of Yokohama.
- Keikyu Keihinkyuko Line – 20 minutes from Shinagawa Station prices is 200 yen. This line train is connecting from Shinagawa station to Yokohama and Haneda Airport. The Rapid limited express trains are the fastest trains.
- JR Tokaido Shinkansen – 15 minutes from Tokyo Station to Shin-Yokohama. The train will stop at Shin-Yokohama Station about 10-15 minutes from the Yokohama Station, JR Yokohama Line, or subway.
- From the airport to Yokohama. The closest airport to Yokohama is Narita Airport and Haneda Airport.
Traveling within Yokohama City
In Yokohama, there are trains from 4 companies which are 1) Japan Railways, 2) Tokyu Railways, 3) Keikyu Railways, and 4) Sagami Railways / Sotetsu. There are 2 subway lines and bus system divided into city.
The main train stations in the city are 2 stations: Yokohama Station and Shin-Yokohama Station (New-Yokohama Station). All 4 trains and subway lines will run through Yokohama Station to the center of the city and Shin-Yokohama Station is unfaithful. The city center about 10 minutes away from Shinkansen stop by JR Yokohama Line or subway. Various parts in the center of Yokohama can be explored on foot such as from the Minato Mirai area along to the waterfront, Yamashita Park, on the way you can stop by to see Osanbashi Pier and from Yamashita Park walk to Yamate district or Yokohama Chinatown.
For those who don’t want to walk on foot. You can use the Akaikutsu Loop Bus that connects to Sakuragicho Station and make various tourist attractions to the center of Yokohama. This will depart every 30-40 minutes (one way bus). It costs 100 yen per round or 500 yen for day pass tickets. This can be used with other public transportation in the center of Yokohama.
Prepaid Suica, Pasmo cards or IC cards can be used for passenger on subway train and bus (including Akaikutsu Loop Bus) in Yokohama, too. You can also take a Seabass boat ride between Yokohama Bay Quarter (about 500 meters from the east exit of Yokohama Station), Minato Mirai area and Yamashita Park every 15 minutes. Half of the boats will head directly to Yamashita Park without stopping (for 15 minutes at 700 yen) while other boats will stop at 2 places, Minato Mirai (for 10 minutes at 420 yen) to Pacifico Convention Center or 20 minutes at 600 yen to Red Brick Warehouses.
Save Trip Plan: You can buy MinatoMirai Line One Day pass from Shibuya station to Yokohama station but the pass can use round trip ticket from Shibuya station to Yokohama station (only one times each). Once reached to Yokohama city, you can used ride ticket on the Minatomirai Line with unlimited ride for one day.Yokohama Visitors Guide MAP