Ushiku Daibutsu is a statue located in Ushiku, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. In 1995, the Ushiku Daibutsu (giant statue of Buddha) was registered in the Guinness Book of World Records as the tallest bronze statue in the world with a Bronze statue. It is so large that it can hold the Daibutsu of the Todaiji temple on the palm. The Daibtsu has a 5-story structure inside, and there are various things you can see and enjoy, such as a handwritten copy of a sutra, an observatory, wall panels that show the images of the statue construction and a model of the thumb of the Daibutsu. You can take an elevator to the observatory that is located 85 meters above the ground and feel the enormity from the inside as well as from the outside.
The statue of Buddha is about 100 meters (330 ft) high which including on the base at 120 meters (390 ft).
The Uchikai Daibutsu Buddha statue was built in 1992 on the virgin grounds of the cemetery and the following year was made into a park Sectarian groups that mention. This founded by Shin Ran Monks (From the year 1173 – 1262) which is a Mahayana sect in the year 1247 B.C. and set up as a missionary area in the Kanto region of Ibaraki prefecture. For the result in the city that still have a lot of temples and religious stories in Ushiku.
Inside the Buddha image you can find many experiences such as sitting, writing a prayer. The exhibition shows the construction of the Daibutsu Buddha image. There is a display section of the replica thumb of the Daibutsu Buddha image. When you go to inside the Daibutsu Buddha image and will see the Phra Ura of Buddha is a viewpoint that have 85 meters above the ground and when you are look around in every direction. If the weather is clear will be able to see the view of Sky Tree and Mount Fuji as well.
The religious ceremony that sends to the Lord Buddha called “Mantoue” is held on the 15th. of August every year. A lot of lamps lined up lit the candles and an atmosphere is like living in a dream. When the worshiping fireworks (Honohanabi) are lit up appear as a contrast between the colorful fireworks and the Daibutsu Buddha image. Something that shouldn’t be missed (But depends on the weather may change). Also, when autumn arrives Cosmos flowers will bloom and flower viewing spot is also popular.
Touch Sickle Meditation by copying the Sutra. You can participate in various meditation and worship services within the Buddha image. In a world of gratitude on the second floor There are 77 desks for cho-kyo. One form of meditation is through the copying of the Buddhist sutras with elaborate writing of each letter. It is said that the blessing requested will come true. Basic Chakyo practitioners can experience the ceremony with a costume for beginners. To enjoy the precious moments of inner peace while concentrating the senses on the brush In fact Both the Buddha image is like a large temple. There is room for comment. Room of light and a room displaying many Buddha images.
Moreover, in the souvenir shop on the 4th floor, inside the Buddha amulet, key chain, or Dai Daibutsu crystal Daibutsu Buddha Incense or products of the Daibutsu Buddha statue can be purchased here only.
- From March to September start at 9:30 am – 5:00 pm on Weekdays and 9:30 am – 5:30 pm on Weekend and holiday.
- From October to February start at 9:30 am – 4:30 pm on Weekdays and 9:30 am – 4:30 pm on Weekend
- Adult (more than junior high school students) 800 yen and Garden only view 500 yen
- Child (4 years old ~ elementary school student) 400 yen and Garden only view 300 yen
- Children under 3 years old are free of charge for admission and garden.
- In addition, during GW & large holidays, the price is only 800 yen for adults and 400 yen for children.
- Group discount for 15 people or more is also avaliable
Address and Location: Jodo Shinshu Higashi Honganji Temple School @ 2083 Kunocho, Ushiku City, Ibaraki Prefecture
How to get there:
- Ushiku Daibutsu is accessible from Ushiku Station on the JR Joban Line, which runs from Nippori or Ueno stations in Tokyo.
- Get off at “Ushiku Station” on the JR Joban Line
- Take the JR Joban Line “Ushiku Station” and “East Exit No. 2”, get off at “Ushiku Daibutsu / Ushiku Joruri” or “Ami Premium Outlet” and get off at “Ushiku Daibutsu” stop (about 20-30 minutes) ] Weekdays one way 680 yen Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays one-way (direct flights) 520 yen. Check Timetable at http://kantetsu.co.jp/bus/timetable_hitachino_ushiku.html
- A bus from Ushiku Station departs from Platform 2 accessible through the station’s East Exit, and takes 30-35 minutes to Ushiku-Daibutsu bus stop.
- From JR Joban Line “Ushiku Station” East Exit or “Arakawaoki Station” East Exit (about 15 minutes).
- General road route on Joban, Ken-O route
- Joban, Ken-O route: (1) From the Joban Expressway “Tsukuba JCT.”, Enter the Chuo Expressway and get off at “Ushikuami” IC. Turn left at the second intersection “Koike” and turn left at the next intersection. At the end, turn right at the T-junction. (2) From Joban Expressway “Tsukuba JCT.”, Enter Ken-O Expressway and get off at “Ami-Higashi IC” towards Ryugasaki. Turn right at Shimokuno intersection. About 2km from Ami-Higashi IC (about 3 minutes)
- East Kando route – Get off at Narita IC on Higashi-Kanto Expressway, enter National Highway 408 from National Highway 295, turn right at “Honestimachi” signal, then turn left at the second traffic light “Shimokuno”, about 2.5 km