Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a mental disorder of the neurodevelopmental type. It is characterized by difficulty paying attention, excessive activity and acting without regards to consequences, which are otherwise not appropriate for a person’s age.
- Differential diagnosis: Normally active young c…
- Symptoms: Difficulty paying attention, excessive …
- Other names: Attention-deficit disorder, hyperk…
- Diagnostic method: Based on symptoms after ..
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition in which the patient is impulsive, unstable and distracted. This disease is more common in children. But the symptoms can persist until adolescence and adulthood.
How is ADHD different from ADD?
Traditionally , attention deficit disorder was known as Attention deficit disorder (ADD) until 1987, before adding the word Hyperactivity becomes Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as specified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, as set by the American Psychiatric Association. Currently, the words ADD and ADHD are used in the same meaning or someone may call children with specific concentration problems but not mischievous as an ADD group, but most experts agree that the word ADD is considered outdated. And the use of this term as an indication of the disease can be confusing because ADHD has various subtypes. That can explain each condition already.
What causes ADHD?
This disease is mainly caused by impaired function of the brain that controls concentration. Restraint And the movement of the body has 3 important symptoms, such as hyperactivity, lack of thought or impulsiveness and have unstable behavior.
Symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
ADHD symptoms in children
If ADHD occurs in children, it can be observed that children are more naughty than normal children of the same age. But this disease is not related to intelligence Because when ADHD children are properly treated, they can learn like normal children.
ADHD symptoms in adults
Every adult with this disease has symptoms from a young age. But may not be diagnosed Or don’t have knowledge about this disease Causing parents or parents to think that their children are just stubborn The symptoms of ADHD that are common in adults, such as late work regularly, falling out, work incorrectly and frequently being blamed. Ignored when working that requires concentration, bored easily, can do anything for a long time, not getting lost, forgetting, not delivering the assignment on time. Interrupting others are stressful and easily irritated etc.
Many patients with this disease do not know that they have this condition. Which may just feel that things To do each day is only difficult and challenging. Therefore not properly and appropriately treated People around me didn’t understand. Causing many following problems including work Personal matter And relationships with those around you Some people may notice that their symptoms gradually Get better as we get older
While many people still have symptoms continuously
Causes and risk factors of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
Experts are still not sure what causes ADHD. But factors that may increase the risk of developing attention deficit disorders in children include:
- This genetic disease is inherited in the family. Although it is not possible to identify the genes that cause this disease clearly
- Exposure to the environment as a risk factor, especially lead
- Use of alcohol or smoking during pregnancy
- Injury or danger of the brain
- Miscarriage Or underweight
Complications of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder If not treated This disease can cause complications such as
- Educational failure
- No progress in work
- Have low self confidence
- Accidents and injuries frequently
- Addicted to alcohol or drugs
- Doing illegal behavior
- Having trouble interacting with friends
- Little or almost no friends
Disease that can occur with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder may be more prone to other diseases, such as
- Anxiety disorder
- Learning disability
- Bipolar disorder or bipolar disorder (Conditions that are both depressed and too cheerful)
- Disease resistance (Oppositional defiant disorder, or ODD) is a disease that results in symptoms of all forms against the rules.
- Conduct disorder is a disease that has negative behavior, such as lying, stealing, using force or teasing others.
- Tourette syndrome is a neurological disorder that behaves repeatedly. Inadvertently
- Sleep problems
If there is any doubt that you or your loved one has an expression behavior similar to ADHD Should see a specialist or psychiatrist. In order to be diagnosed for indications and continue to receive proper treatment If sick, can come back to live with quality and happier.