Scientific name: Alpinia galanga (L.) Willd.
Common name: Galanga.
Alpinia galanga, a plant in the ginger family, bears a rhizome used as an herb in Southeast Asian cookery. It is one of four plants known as “galangal”, and is differentiated from the others with the common names lengkuas, greater galangal, and blue ginger.
Botanical characteristics: herbaceous plant, 1.5-2 meters high. The rhizomes have clear joints and segments. Leaves alternate, lanceolate, ovate, or nearly oblong, 7-9 cm wide, 20-40 cm long. Inflorescences at the top of small flowers. The petals are white. The base is short, the tube is separated into 3 petals. The petals are red. Ornamental leaves are oval, the fruit is dry, round, broken.
- It is a cure for flatulence, flatulence, flatulence
- Cure food poisoning
- As a cure for urticaria
- It is a treatment for eczema, ringworm, dermatitis, bacterial and fungal infections.
- acetoxychavicol acetate essential oil Consisting of monoterene 2 – terpineol, terpenen 4 – ol, cineole, camphor, linalool, eugenol.
Benefits of galangal:
- Helps to appetite (Kha Luang)
- Nourish the body (rhizome)
- Helps to nourish the fire element (shoots)
- Galangal contains 1-acetoxychavicol acetate (ACA), which inhibits cancer-induced carcinogenicity. Therefore helps prevent the occurrence of cancer with (rhizome)
- Has the effect to inhibit the growth of cancer cells (Rhizome extract)
- Rhizome extract has the effect of helping to reduce blood sugar levels. (Rhizome extract)
- It helps to treat bronchitis (Old rhizome, Rhizome extract).
- It helps expel the blood to make walking easier. Helps to increase blood flow and improve body metabolism (Root)
- The essential oil from galangal has many benefits to the respiratory system.
- Therefore helps to cure colds, coughs and sore throats as well (Rhizome extract)
- Helps to relieve the chest tightness (shoots)
- Helps to solve feverish fever (Rhizome)
- Galangal. Medicinal properties help to cure phlegm (rhizomes, roots).
- It helps to relieve nausea, vomiting, motion sickness by using fresh galangal rhizomes, about 1 inch long, to pound until thoroughly, then add lime water. Take half a glass of drinking water after meals 3 times a day (rhizome)
- The powder from the dried fruit can be used to treat toothache. By grinding the fruit and then applying it to the pain area (galanga)
- Used as an anti-diarrhea medicine Indigestion Colic, abdominal distension, by using fresh galangal rhizomes, about 1 inch long, to pound until fine, then add lime water
- Take half a glass of drinking water after meals 3 times a day (rhizome)
- Galangal flowers are used to help solve diarrhea (flowers).
- It helps expel the intestine. With the use of galangal rhizomes, fresh, about 1 inch long, pound until thoroughly detailed and then add lime water. Take half a glass of drinking water after meals 3 times a day (rhizome)
- Galangal has properties to help cure twisting, stomachache, diarrhea by using fresh galangal rhizomes, about 1 inch long, to pound until thoroughly then add lime water. Take half a glass of drinking water after meals 3 times a day (rhizome)
- Helps to treat diarrhea (galangal)
- Helps to cure food poisoning (rhizome)
- Old galangal rhizomes help digestion Helps to relieve dyspepsia (rhizome, galangal)
- Has a mild laxative effect (rhizome)
- It helps to stop stomach ulcers (rhizomes).
- It helps to eliminate toxic residues in the intestines. (Rhizome extract)
- Help reduce intestinal peristalsis (Rhizome extract)
- Helps expel bile (rhizome)
- Helps to cure good disability (Kha Luang)
- It helps to drive the blood, drive the amniotic fluid, drive the placenta by using rhizomes and pounding with tamarind and salt. For women to eat after birth (rhizome)
- Used as a cure for fresh wounds (Rhizome extract)
- Helps to reduce inflammation (Rhizome)
- Rhizome extract has various anti-allergic effects (Rhizome extract)
- It helps to neutralize toxins from insect bites. (Rhizome extract)
- Used to treat various skin diseases (rhizomes)
- It helps to kill bacteria and fungi. (Rhizome extract)
- Helps to kill parasites (essential oils, leaves)
- It helps to cure ringworm. By using the rhizome as much as the thumb Bring to pound until thoroughly mixed with the brewery liquor. Apply topically to the ringworm area until it disappears (rhizomes, leaves)
- Helps to cure smallpox (galangal of the flower galangal)
- Used as a cure for urticaria With the use of old galangal rhizomes, 1 rootstock is to be used until thoroughly Then add enough liquor to the factory And use both water and meat to apply to the area of the hives often until the symptoms improve (rhizomes)
- It helps to cure water bite. By using the rhizome as fresh as the size of a thumb Taken thoroughly, then add enough liquor to flood the house for 2 days, then use a cotton ball moistened and then apply the area around 3 times a day (rhizome).
- Helps to reduce bruises, sprains, and sprains by using rhizomes for fine details.
- Apply to mask the affected area. Or pound thoroughly and then soak with white liquor or vinegar. Leave for 1 day. Only use water to apply to the area (rhizome).
- Helps to relieve cramping (Rhizome)
- Helps to cure beriberi (rhizome)
- It helps to relieve pain in the muscles. Joint pain and swelling By using the old galangal to be mixed with coconut oil and then applied to relieve symptoms (old plants, leaves, extracts from rhizomes).
Soft flowers and stems can be eaten as fresh vegetables (stems, flowers).
- The rhizome of galangal monkey Brings to boil water and mix the water with liquor.
- Will increase the degree of liquor Causing the degree to not fall Alcohol has a stronger pungent smell. (Rhizome of galangal monkey)
- Helps to cure venereal disease (Rhizome of galangal monkey)
- It helps to maintain sexual performance.
- Galanga rhizome extract has the effect of killing insects down the day. (Rhizome extract)
- Help to repel insects by using rhizomes to thoroughly lower the essential oil. Then placed in the area of the insect (rhizome)
- Galangal has rhizomes with essential oils, fragrant, can be used to deodorize the fishy smell of meat, shrimp, shellfish, crabs, fish as well. (Rhizome extract)
- Some countries use galangal to help stop bad breath and to stop body odor.
- Can be used to cook many kinds, such as Tom Kha Ka, Chicken Tom Yum, Shrimp
- Tom Yum, Fish Curry, Massaman Curry, Teppo Curry, Stir-Fried Fish in Spicy Laab etc.
- The galangal is used for production or processing into beverage or tea, making compress balls, deodorizing spray, etc.