Borsch is one of the most popular types of Russian soup. So far it is said that a Russian woman who would be a good wife must be able to cook delicious borsch soup. Borsches can be a soup made with pure vegetables. Or with a mixture of meat or chicken as well But the main ingredient is red beets or beetroot, which makes the broth a beautiful red color.
Borscht is nutrient-dense and can be a part of a calorie-controlled diet. It contains a variety of vegetables like carrots, onions, beet roots, cabbage and more. These veggies are rich in antioxidants and vitamins. This delicious beet soup even helps you regulate blood pressure and protects heart, liver and stomach.
- 3 medium beets peeled and grated
- 4 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 8 cups chicken broth + 2 cups water
- 3 medium yukon potatoes peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
For Zazharka (Mirepoix):
- 2 celery ribs trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper finely chopped, optional
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp ketchup or 3 Tbsp tomato sauce
- Peel, grate and/or slice all vegetables (keeping sliced potatoes in cold water to prevent browning until ready to use then drain).
- Heat a large soup pot (5 1/2 Qt or larger) over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add grated beets and sauté 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beets are softened. Add 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. Add sliced potatoes and sliced carrots then cook for 10-15 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium/high heat and add 2 Tbsp oil. Add chopped onion, celery and bell pepper. Saute stirring occasionally until softened and lightly golden (7-8 minutes). Add 4 Tbsp Ketchup and stir fry 30 seconds then transfer to the soup pot to continue cooking with the potatoes.
- When potatoes and carrots reach desired softness, add 1 can of beans with their juice, 2 bay leaves, 2-3 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 pressed garlic clove, and 3 Tbsp chopped dill. Simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes and add more salt and vinegar to taste.